Angel Food Cake is as light as a cloud and as sweet as can be. It is also one of the most versatile desserts. It pairs perfectly with fresh fruit, whipped cream, coffee, or chocolate. The best part is you only need six ingredients to make an Angel Food Cake that is absolutely divine.
PREP: 20 mins BAKE: 40 to 45 mins TOTAL: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 cup (120g) Unbleached Cake Flour or All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (298g) sugar
- 12 large (425g) egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract, or a combination
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 10″ round pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cup(s)
- Side towel/Oven mitt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Don’t grease or flour your Angel Food Cake pan. Use one of our 10″ round pan or an Angel Food loaf pan that will fit this recipe well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, salt, and extract. Beat until the mixture is just frothy, then sprinkle the cream of tartar on top and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Add the remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, then gradually fold in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the pan, and bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it upside down with a bottle through its center cone to keep its top from flattening on the counter. Let the cake cool for 1.5 hours. This cooling period sets the structure and keeps the cake from collapsing.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife, and remove it from the pan.
- Store the cake, covered, on the counter for up to a week. Freeze, well wrapped, for up to 3 months.
A Slice of Heaven
Angel Food Cake is so simple, but the specific ingredients and equipment matter. With bakeware, accessories, and accouterments from Last Confection, your friends, family, or whomever you feed this Angel Food Cake to will be praying for more.