Life should be like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies: simple, straightforward, and amazingly delicious. Every baker needs a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe in their repertoire, and this one is praise-worthy of the highest order.
PREP: 12 mins BAKE: 12 mins TOTAL: 36 mins
- 2/3 cup (142g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup (131g) granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (92g) vegetable shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (use 1/2 teaspoon salt if you use salted butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, cider or white
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (241g) All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (340g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 baking sheet pans
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cup(s)
- Side towel/Oven mitt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, butter, shortening, salt, vanilla and almond extracts, vinegar, and baking soda, beating until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the egg, again beating until smooth. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the flour, then the chips.
- Use a spoon (or a tablespoon cookie scoop) to scoop 1 1/4″ balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2″ between them on all sides; they’ll spread.
- Bake the cookies for 11 to 12 minutes, until their edges are chestnut brown and their tops are light golden brown, almost blonde.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool on the pan until they’ve set enough to move without breaking. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Fresh Out of the Oven
These are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be, and they are crazy easy. An American classic, chocolate chip cookies are a go-to sweet treat that is easy to whip up and store well (if they last).